Because it is fat-free, and uses "heavy" flours, this is very dense and not overly moist bread. It is suitable for people who either do not like the taste of honey or are unable to tolerate it. The combination of maple syrup and molasses give the bread a balanced sweetness, and goes well with the taste of the dried fruits. It is best cut in thick slices, and enjoyed with a lot of butter. The shelf life is short, even in an airtight container. It’s best sliced and the slices frozen for use as needed. The slices warm up well in a microwave wrapped in a dampened paper towel, and using low power to reheat. The flavors in this bread will go well with either tea or coffee, and eaten as a breakfast bread or an afternoon snack.
- 225g dark raisins, sour cherries and blueberries, in roughly equal proportions, coarsely chopped (makes slicing the bread easier)
- 300ml strong black tea (Use 2 teabags to the volume of water. Steep for 5 minutes)
- 75g Maple Syrup and Molasses mixed half and half
- 2 lightly beaten medium eggs
- 200 gms wholewheat flour
- 50 gms Flax Meal
- 25 gms ground oatmeal
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp allspice
- ½ tsp salt
- 2-3 dashes Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp granola for sprinkling (optional)
- Put the chopped dried fruit in a bowl. Pour molasses and maple syrup over the fruit. Brew 300ml strong tea and add to the mixed fruit, maple syrup and molasses in the bowl. Cover and leave to soak in the fridge overnight. The next day, remove from fridge and bring to room temperature.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and mix well with a whisk.
- Lightly beat the two eggs and add this to the soaked fruit mixture. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix well with a spoon making sure to incorporate all the flour at the bottom of the bowl. Do not over mix.
- Transfer to a greased loaf tin. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of your favorite granola mix over the top (if desired). Bake at 350 degrees F for about 1 hour, 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Serve sliced with lots of butter!