Thursday, 10 December 2015
Spicy Cabbage Soup
2 lbs meaty Lamb neck bones
1 tablespoon Jamaican Meat seasoning
1/2 tablespoon of Lebanese 7 spice mixture
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 cups of chicken broth
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 medium sized carrots, peeled and sliced
1 Chayote squash, peeled and cubed
1 tin sweet corn
1/2 cup pearl barley
3/4 cup Maggi Spicy Masala Chili Sauce
4 oz Spicy Cajun Andouille sausage, sliced thickly
6 Allspice Berries
1 Tablespoon Caraway seeds
4-5 sprigs thyme
4-5 cloves garlic
1 large yellow onion
1 lb very ripe tomatoes
1 small head of cabbage cut into pieces
1. Season the neck bones which have been cut in small pieces, with the spice mixtures, salt and pepper. Marinate in refrigerator overnight.
2. Mix in about 1 tablespoon olive oil and place in an oven proof baking dish. Bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 to 45 minutes until the spices and meat have browned.
3. Chop the onion and garlic very finely in a small chopper. Wash and puree the tomatoes.
4. Drain the drippings from the browned lamb bones into a frying pan or wok. Place the meat, barley, thyme, tinned corn, caraway seeds, and allspice berries into a large (7-8 quart) slow cooker.
5. Saute the chopped onions,garlic and sliced Andouille sausage in the lamb drippings until the onions become translucent. Add the pureed tomato mixture and the spicy Masala Chili sauce. Let this simmer for about 3 minutes then add the mixture to the slow cooker.
6. Add the 6 cups of chicken broth to the ingredients in the slow cooker, and float the whole habanero chili pepper on top. Cover and cook on high for 8 hours.
7. About an hour before the soup is finished, add the chopped vegetables and cabbage. Balance flavors to taste using chicken bouillon cubes or granules.