1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
½ cup flax meal
½ cup oatmeal
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed (I use Colombian Panela Redonda)
1 tablespoon molasses
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon allspice
1 cup prepared granola ( I use my homemade Chocolate Caramel Toffee Granola, also on this site)
½ large granny smith apple, peeled and coarsely shredded
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup vegetable oil
¾ cup yogurt
¾ cup half and half
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Insert Jumbo muffin liners into a 12 piece muffin tin.
2. Whisk together all of the dry ingredients, including the granola.
3. Gently warm the half and half mixed with the vanilla, molasses and brown sugar until the sugar is dissolved. Set aside to cool.
4. Peel and shred the apple. Add the lemon juice to this and set aside.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk together the vegetable oil, yogurt until combined. Add to this, the half and half mixture and mix until combined. Add in the apple and lemon juice and quickly add to the dry ingredients, stirring just enough to combine (you will see bubbles forming in the batter at this stage due to the reaction between the lemon juice and the soda).
6. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling them 2/3 full.
7. Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with additional granola, if desired.
8. Bake the muffins for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the middle of one of the center muffins comes out clean. Cool on a rack.