1/2 cup quick cooking oats
½ cup oatmeal or oat bran
½ cup flax meal
½ cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon molasses
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup half-and-half
1/3 cup yogurt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
½ granny smith apple, finely shredded.
½ cup cranberries
¼ cup pumpkin seeds
¼ cup walnuts, chopped to a meal like consistency
Zest and juice of one lemon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and line the bottom of 8x8-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
2. Mix oats, oatmeal, flax meal, flour, walnuts, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and kosher salt together in a bowl.
3. Mix the finely grated apple, lemon zest and juice, with the pumpkin puree and set aside.
4. Mix brown sugar, molasses, cranberries, vanilla with half and half, stirring over low heat until the sugar is dissolved. Allow to cool.
5. Lightly beat the egg and yogurt together, add the cooled half and half mixture to this then add to the dry ingredients. Add the pumpkin puree to the mixture and mix all until combined. Pour the batter into prepared pan and top with the pumpkin seeds, pressing them into the batter.
6. Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Cool in pan for about 10 minutes before inverting and cutting into squares. Store in airtight container in the refrigerator or wrap squares in plastic or foil and freeze. Thaw frozen squares in the refrigerator a couple of hours. Warm up in microwave by wrapping in a damp paper towel and using medium power.