¾ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
¾ cup whole wheat flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup brown sugar(use one with a strong caramel/toffee flavor e.g. Piloncillo, Panela, Coconut)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup half and half
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup mashed baked, Plantain (see below)
1/3 cup peanut butter morsels
- Combine flour, oats, peanut butter morsels, baking powder, spices, soda, and salt.
- Bake a medium sized very ripe plantain as follows. Cut the ends off, and make a slit lengthwise on the skin. Place on a baking tin with a rack and bake at 425 degrees F for about 20-25 minutes or until the skin is black and blistered and the color of the plantain flesh exposed is golden brown. Remove from oven, mash well with a fork. Mix in the lime juice and set aside to cool.
- Mix sugar, vanilla and half and half together in a small saucepan. Bring to a slow boil until the sugar has dissolved. The mixture will thicken slightly and take on a chocolate color. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg and oil until pale in color. Stir in the cooled milk mixture, and plantain. Combine thoroughly. Stir the flour mixture into the banana mixture until just combined. Divide the batter between 12 Jumbo sized cup muffin liners (or 14 regular sized).
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 18 to 20 minutes.