1/2 cup granulated sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1/2 cup oil
1 1/4 cups finely grated Butternut Squash or pumpkin, firmly packed
1/2 cup sour cream
¼ cup half and half
1 teaspoon orange flavoring (or the zest of an orange)
1 cup flour
½ cup oat bran
¼ cup whole wheat flour
1 Tablespoon Arrowroot flour. Optional (this improves the texture. Cornstarch may be substituted)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon allspice
½ teaspoon grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger root
Juice of half a lemon
1/2 teaspoon salt
¼ cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour the sides of a 9X5-inch loaf pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper
- Mix Flours, spices, chopped pecans, oat bran, salt, baking powder and soda in a small bowl and set aside.
- Grate the butternut squash and add the cranberries, ginger, lemon juice and maple syrup to it. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugars, half and half, eggs, and oil. Add the sour cream and orange extract; whisk until pale in color.
- Mix in the grated squash mixture
- Add the dry ingredients all at once; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened (it will look grainy due to the oat bran). Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Cool for five minutes in the pan. Gently turn out onto a cooling rack and cool completely. Store covered at room temperature (the bread also freezes well).