Wednesday, 29 April 2015
A Very Yummy Teabread!
2 oz butter plus 2 oz coconut oil
8 fluid oz cold, dark, strong tea (I used 2 teabags to the 8 ozs water)
4 oz chopped dried fruit (I used raisins but cranberries could also be used)
4 oz fine brown sugar (dark or light, depending on the color teabread you want to end up with)
5 oz self raising flour
4 oz wholewheat flour
1 level tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1. Grease and flour a standard sized loaf tin. I also lined the bottom with parchment paper
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
3. Bring butter, oil, tea, fruit and sugar to a boil in a small pan, and simmer, stirring constantly for 4-5 minutes. Remove from fire and allow to cool.
4. Mix cool liquid mixture with all dry ingredients and spices.
5. Mix thoroughly and place in prepared loaf tin.
6. Bake in center of oven for about 1 hour or until a cake tester comes out clean.
7. Slice and serve with tea or coffee.
-Add zest of one orange to the wet ingredients
-Sprinkle 2 tbsp granola on top of the cake before putting it in the oven
-If you do not want to use wholewheat flour but only 9 oz self raising flour, omit the 1/2 tsp of baking powder.