Saturday 2 May 2015

Anzac Biscuits......My Version.

UPDATE: 6/20/15 I decided to try something different with the baking process for these cookies. I like a hard, dry cookie. I therefore decided to try baking these like I do Biscotti. So, I baked them as I usually do but then I let them cool for 20 minutes then put them back in the oven at a temperature of 275 degrees Fahrenheit, and bake for another 20 minutes. The results are outstanding, and because the cookies are now drier, and crisper, they also last longer when stored in an airtight container.

Anzac Day was celebrated a few days ago. Thought I'd try to modify the traditional version I found all over the Web. I love a good, crunchy biscuit with a cup of coffee or tea, or just as a quick snack when the craving for something sweet kicks in! I included things like Durum Atta flour and flax meal. I find that baking with Durum flour gives baked goods a nice "snap" to the bite, and flax I think tends to have overall health benefits, in addition to being gluten free. So while not completely gluten free, it's low gluten content. Instead of Golden Syrup, I included Maple Syrup, and instead of including dessicated coconut (of which I am not particularly fond), split the butter requirement with coconut oil. The result was a delicious, crisp, knobbly biscuit/cookie that is totally addictive. They keep well in an airtight container.



  • ½ cup self raising cup flour+1/2 cup durum atta flour
  • 3/4 cup caster sugar
  • 1 cup flax meal
  • 2 cups oatmeal (I did not use whole oats but used Bob's Red Mill Scottish Oatmeal as it is already ground)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 75g butter+50 grams coconut oil
  • 2 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 6 tbsp boiling water
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking trays with parchment paper. Place flour, caster sugar, oatmeal, salt, and flax meal in a bowl and stir to combine. Make a well in the centre.
2. Place butter, coconut oil, and maple syrup in a saucepan to melt, or microwave in a bowl to melt. Dissolve baking soda in the boiling water. Add melted ingredients and dissolved baking soda to dry ingredients and mix to combine.
3. Roll spoonfuls into balls ( I used a measuring tablespoon as a scoop) and press onto prepared baking trays, allowing space for biscuits to spread while cooking. I coat the bottom of a drinking glass with a little cooking oil and use that to "press" the dough. I also put a little cooking oil in the spoon to start with and the dough "drops" out much easier. The dough can be both a bit crumbly, and sticky so that makes it difficult to "unscoop" the drops. 
4. Bake for 15 minutes or until firm and golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment