1 1/2 cups chopped dates, coarsely chopped
½ cup dried Mission Figs, coarsely chopped
4 tablespoons softened butter
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 to 3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup boiling water
5 whole Cardamom pods
½ teaspoon allspice
1 tablespoon Tamarind concentrate
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-2 tablespoons Grand Marnier
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 ¾ cups all purpose flour
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a standard sized loaf pan, and line the bottom with a square of parchment paper.
- Bring the water and cardamom pods to a boil.
- Pour the hot mixture over the chopped figs and dates, vanilla, Grand Marnier, baking soda, butter, salt, tamarind concentrate, and brown sugar in a mixing bowl. Allow the mixture to cool and the dried fruit to soften and plump up. When cool, crush the cardamom pods against the side of the bowl, remove and discard. Puree only about one-third of the mixture in the bowl using a hand blender.More will result in too much liquid and lead to a prolonged baking time.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, allspice and chopped nuts together in a bowl.
- Lightly whisk the egg. Add this to the cooled water mixture then fold all into the flour, mixing until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the pan, gently spreading the batter evenly in the pan.
- Bake the bread for 55 to 65 minutes. A cake tester or toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean.
- Allow to cool on a rack for 10 minutes before turning out the bread on a rack. Slice when completely cool.