About 15 pieces of WASA Multigrain Crispbread (use less if you want more "custard" than "Bread"
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup dates, chopped or sliced
½ cup chopped walnuts
4 eggs, beaten
2 cups half and half
1/2 cup white sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons water
½ teaspoon ground allspice
½ teaspoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
2. Bring the brown sugar and water to a boil then gently simmer to the stage of simple syrup (about 200 degrees Fahrenheit on a candy thermometer. Thin with a little water if it gets too thick on cooling) Allow to cool to room temperature
3. Lay the crispbread slices in 2 layers to cover the 8x8 area (if you prefer bread pudding with more custard than bread, just use 1 layer).
4. Sprinkle dates and nuts as evenly as possible over the crispbread. Cover with a final layer of crispbread.
5. In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, milk, sugar, allspice, cardamom, and vanilla. Beat thoroughly. Pour egg mixture over bread. Lightly push bread down with a fork.
6. Place in a hot water bath and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 45-60 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.