1 cup Oats
1 cup oatmeal or oat bran
1 Cup Flour
2 tablespoons flax meal
½ tsp Salt
½ Cup Crisco or other vegetable shortening
¼ tsp Baking Soda
½ Cup Brown Sugar
¼ Cup plus tablespoons water
2 tablespoons oats
2 tablespoons sesame, chia or hemp seeds
2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix the 2 tablespoons oats, and seeds in a small bowl and set aside.
- Mix the larger quantities of oats, oatmeal or bran, flour, and salt in a large bowl
- Rub shortening into dry ingredients until it looks like coarse bread crumbs.
- Dissolve sugar and baking soda in boiling water
- Add liquid mixture to dry, and shape into a dough ball (add more wet or dry mixture to bring the dough together). Press to flatten. Top the dough ball with the mixed seeds and oats and roll the dough out to be about ¼ inch thick.
- Cut into squares.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until they are golden brown. They should be dry to touch. Turn off oven and return cookies to oven with the door slightly ajar so that the cookies can finish drying out. Store in an airtight container.